I was recently asked to participate in the California Walnuts Virtual Salad Party and I have to say I was nothing short of thrilled to be a participant this year. The idea for the party, ask 25 bloggers to make and share recipes from some fantastic chefs, all the while sharing our thoughts on them, then in turn encourage our readers to make their own wonderful walnut salad creations.
Seeing as how I am all about salad everything these days this task was definitely a welcome one. This salad, comes from Mollie Katzen and is an adaptation of her Grilled Shrimp Salad. It’s a bit of twist on the classic Crab Louie. It’s a lightened up, up to date version that uses readily available shrimp, and a dressing made with combination of greek yogurt, light mayonnaise and cocktail sauce.
Instead of the usual romaine lettuce, I mixed things up a bit by using spring and micro greens and made sure there was lots and lots of toppings. This kind of salad is just perfect for really hot summer days when the thought of going to the effort to cook anything is just more than you can handle. Toss a few shrimp on the grill or in the grill pan, cut up the ingredients and you’re golden. I think some pan seared scallops would be an amazing addition/substitution too. The dressing recipe is delicious, but might not make enough to generously cover your salad. Feel free to double the recipe if you’re a dressing person.
Need some summer salad inspiration? Be sure to head on over to the California Walnuts site and check out some of the really amazing recipes created by chefs Aida Mollenkamp , Joanne Weir and Mollie Katzen along with all of the other lovely creations submitted by some great bloggers. Definitely drool worthy!
- Grilled Shrimp and Walnut Salad
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4||30 minutes||5 minutes|
- For the Salad
- 1 lb. lettuce or mixed greens
- 4 hard boiled eggs halved
- 1/2 C. walnut halves toasted
- 1/2 C. Kalamata olives
- 1/2 C. cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 lb. raw shrimp tail on
- 1 large lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- For the Dressing:
- 2 T. Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 2 T. low fat mayonnaise
- 2 T. cocktail sauce
- 2 T. lime juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the shrimp: Combine the lime juice, garlic and olive oil in a large non reactive pan. Add the shrimp and marinate for 1-4 hours. Place the walnuts on a small baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or just until toasted and fragrant. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile make the dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in a small jar and whisk to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a grill pan on medium heat and grill the shrimp just until pink and opaque. Set aside, and assemble the salad. Place the lettuce on a large platter, top with all of the ingredients and serve the dressing on the side.