Are you a fan of a good BLT? I absolutely am, and this summer I’ve been eating my weight in tomatoes and bacon. So when King Arthur Flour asked me to join their summer campaign for Better Biscuits I enthusiastically jumped up and down and began envisioning a BLT biscuit sandwich.
Typically when I’ve made biscuits in the past, I’ve used regular all purpose flour and added my own leavening ingredients, so when they sent me some of their unbleached self-rising flour I was more than happy to give it a try. Previously I was a bit afraid to go this route, but really now I wonder why I was ever worried about it. I’ve been very much converted. I’m now completely in love with self-rising flour. It streamlines the baking process and makes the lightest most fluffy biscuits.
These biscuits are cream biscuits, no butter required, just heavy cream, self-rising flour and cheese. They couldn’t be simpler to throw together. I made them mondo sized for sandwiches, but you could easily make them smaller if you’re watching your girlish figure.
The other really wonderful part about King Arthur Flour’s Better Biscuit campaign is that they are offering to share their knowledge with bakers or wannabe bakers everywhere through their Baker’s Hotline. You can call, talk to a real live person and ask any baking question that you’ve been dying to have answered. Seriously sweet. I’ve included the number for you below.
If you want to see some other really awesome biscuit creations from other bloggers, head on over to Instagram and check the hashtag #betterbiscuits .
Here’s a few tips from King Arthur to help you make better biscuits:
Be Gentle. Avoid overworking the dough once you add the liquid.
Chill Out: Start with very cold butter.
Use a Biscuit Cutter: The cleaner the cut the higher your dough will rise when it bakes
Freeze Before Baking: Freeze the cut biscuits up to 20 minutes prior to baking
This recipe is an adapted version of King Arthur Flours Savory Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
Recipe used with permission.
*This post is unsponsored
King Arthur Flour Baker’s Hotline: 855.371.BAKE
- Cheddar and Thyme BLT Biscuit Sandwiches
- 2 C. King Arthur Unbleached Self Rising Flour
- 4 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese I use Beechers Flagship, it's my fave
- 1 T. fresh thyme
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Sandwich Ingredients
- 1 lb. thick sliced applewood bacon cooked and cooled
- 1 lb. thick sliced tomatoes
- lettuce or mixed greens
- 1 C. cooked corn or frozen, thawed
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F., with the top rack in the upper third of the oven.
- In the bowl of a food processor, crumble the cheese into large chunks and add the flour and thyme, pulse until the cheese is finely chopped.
- Pour the cream over the mixture and pulse it until crumbly/wet. Dump the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and form into a rectangle, approximately 1" thick. Use a 4" cutter and cut into 6 biscuits.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, brush with some additional heavy cream and sprinkle with the fresh ground pepper.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown. Cool.
- Layer the bacon, tomatoes, lettuce and corn on a biscuit that has been sliced in half horizontally. Spread the mayo over the inside of the top biscuit and place on top. Devour.